Paralegal V Corporate & IP
Location: San Antonio, TX
Harland Clarke Corp. is a leading provider of best-in-class integrated payment solutions, marketing services, retail products, high-value transactional print and electronic documentation, and security solutions. The 140 year old company serves multiple industries including financial, insurance and investment services, big-box retailing, accounting software, commercial, direct selling associations, and franchising. Its clients range in size from major corporate brands and trade groups to small businesses and individual consumers. They are served through three business divisions: Payment Solutions, Marketing Services and Retail Channels. For more information, visit www.harlandclarke.com.
Harland Clarke Holdings is comprised of companies focused on optimizing customer relationships through multiple channels. Its major business units, Harland Clarke, Scantron and Valassis are recognized as leading providers of marketing services, transaction solutions, education services and intelligent media delivery that create millions of customer touch points annually for their clients. Harland Clarke Holdings Corp. is a wholly owned subsidiary of MacAndrews & Forbes Holdings Inc. For more information about each company please visit www.harlandclarkeholdings.com.
Paralegal V Corporate & IP
San Antonio, TX
Provide assistance in a wide variety of legal matters pertaining to the organization including but not limited to corporate governance, intellectual property, licensing, and contracts. Assist attorneys with organizing, managing and maintaining a variety of corporate matters. Provide assistance in the preparation of legal documents, research and compilation of data from various legal references as well as the preparation of contracts and maintenance of case filings and corporate record books. This position will support all business units under Harland Clarke Holdings.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
Through previous background and experience the candidate must demonstrate, with or without an accommodation, the ability to...
• Interact professionally and effectively through daily verbal and written communication with internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to outside counsel, governmental agencies and internal management.
• Independently prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks within established timeframes. Perform special projects as assigned or required.
• Prepare and present updates to VP & Sr. Corporate Counsel and other attorneys within the Legal Department for the purpose of reviewing current status of matters, identifying pertinent issues and tracking deadlines to ensure schedules are met.
• Develop, review and manage corporate secretary maintenance and registrations for U.S. domestic and international subsidiaries, including maintaining minute books, drafting corporate documents for subsidiaries, coordinating international regional annual general meetings, registration changes, and statutory filings.
• Preparation of annual and other periodic reports and filings for regulatory authorities and other third parties; ensure all necessary jurisdictional qualifications to do business are met.
• Direct and oversee the maintenance of complete and accurate records regarding service of process and correspondence received by the Legal Department.
• Assist with the management of domestic and international intellectual property registrations including correspondence with clients and foreign counsel or agents regarding prosecution and maintenance of trademark application and registration. Perform on-line trademark searches and filings. Assist with performing investigations for potential trademark infringements. Assist with trademark-related transactional work including licensing, divestments, acquisitions, etc.
• Work independently, or as member of a cross-functional team on initiatives that improve the customer experience and business processes by providing program support to key stakeholders. Ensure transparency in project progress, partnerships, prioritization, risks and resource availability via successful communication.
• Collaborate with various internal stakeholders in the preparation of contracts and other legal documents. Review certain contracts and other legal documents to ensure necessary provisions are included.
• Utilize general knowledge of the law to analyze data and situations to assist attorneys in making appropriate decisions in the best interest of the Company.
• Participating in due diligence initiatives as they relate to intellectual property, contracts, and corporate documents.
Maintain professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest developments in law and in other related areas.
All employees are responsible for demonstrating the company's Core Values at all times and for using Performance Excellence principles to continuously improve effectiveness, efficiency, products, and services. This includes, but is not limited to, participating on improvement teams, recommending and implementing improvement ideas, and participating in training and other activities to keep up to date on processes, information, etc.
All employees are responsible for supporting and complying with internal and external audits, to include providing information, performing assigned tasks to ensure compliance, and preparing and maintaining evidence that key duties identified as internal controls have been performed.
All employees are responsible for supporting and complying with safety and security policies to promote a healthy working environment.
Education & Knowledge Required
A college degree is required plus over ten years of progressively responsible paralegal experience in a corporate or law firm environment.
Must have strong knowledge of general legal terminology and legal principles.
Experience / Skills / Abilities Required
Must have demonstrated strong ability in project management; to perform legal research; to draft contracts; to use modern office equipment, including MS Word software and electronic resource tools.
Must have exceptional ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to negotiate effectively; to interview associates, vendors and customers.
Must be able to organize and prioritize workload; to understand and follow written and oral directions and establish and maintain effective working relations with others.
Must have demonstrated excellent team work and a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot a variety of issues.
Must be able to meet multiple and concurrent deadlines and possess excellent follow through and organization skills.
Must be exceptionally detail oriented.
The Paralegal V role does not have any direct supervision responsibilities but will supervise projects and process improvement. The Paralegal V also provides leadership on several cross-functional projects and departmental initiatives.
Communication & Contacts Required
Under the general direction of the VP & Sr. Corporate Counsel, the Paralegal V is expected to perform ongoing legal tasks, with minimal direction and guidance, and collaborate with members of all departments on various projects.
Interaction will occur with all levels of associates and management, outside counsel, consultants, and regulatory agencies, in the performance of job duties.
The Paralegal V will be responsible for exercising discretion and independent judgment when performing job duties and must display a high degree of ethics, integrity, and professionalism.
Harland Clarke Holdings, to include its affiliated and subsidiary companies (Harland Clarke, Valassis, Scantron, NCP Solutions, NCH Marketing Services, Clipper Magazine), is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Applicants who have disabilities may request that accommodations be made in order to complete the selection process by contacting our Recruiting Coordinator, Laurel Reddish at .